[NAFEX] Cornus capitata

Diane Whitehead voltaire at islandnet.com
Thu Nov 29 01:02:48 EST 2007

On 28-Nov-07, at 8:56 PM, Donna &/or Kieran wrote:

.. a dogwood tree at the Nashville arboretum, .. it was their
Evergreen dogwood, ....  How hardy are they supposed to be?

Sunset magazine says they are OK to -9 C (15 F ) but they aren't
reliably evergreen.  They are from the Himalayas, and though we think
of their snowy tops, the lower elevations are home to subtropicals.  I
don't know the elevation where they grow.

The only ones I have seen are ones my friends have grown from seed.
This is always a good way to get a tree that will thrive for you, and
all the ones I have seen are growing well here at the southern end of
Vancouver Island, though at -10 C even our native trees can take a
beating.

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers