[NAFEX] can wild cherries be made edible?

william Eggers wce1482 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 17:33:06 EST 2007

The wild cherries aren't very tasty when raw, but they do cook up into a beautiful, tasty jam and do not seem to require a lot of sugar.  Do make sure they are fully ripe.  They shouild practically fall off when you touch them.  Not all on one stem will necessarily be the same ripeness at the same time.  If I have to tug to get one off, I leave it.  The birds need some, too!

cevanko at civconinc.com wrote:  I have wild cherries growing like weeds all over. When I cut a sapling
down it has a wonderful cherry aroma but when I try one of the fruit it
has a yuck factor of around 6.5. I've read here that you folks have done
wonders with currants (can't imagine why)and thought maybe someone has a
tip for these small fruited, large seeded beauties.
Thanks,
Craig - just outside Chicago, zone 5

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/