[NAFEX] Plastic Straws for Mason Bees

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Tue Nov 27 10:40:18 EST 2007

    When I first got interested in Mason Bees and had ordered some cardboard
straws for them, I thought to try plastic tubing.  Since I make maple syrup
and gather sap with (vinyl) plastic tubing, I decided to try that tubing
since it is 5/16" diameter inside.  I stuffed as many as would fit into
Campbell's soup cans and fixed them tightly near the cardboard straws.  From
my subsequent observation, the bees used the vinyl tubing as often and the
cardboard straws.  When I retired some, I cut them apart to determine depth
usage finding penetration was about equal in both cardboard and vinyl.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: