[NAFEX] Tasty Japanese hybrid plums for hot and humid areas?

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Nov 25 23:12:21 EST 2007

I have an old variety that I believe to be one of the old Burbank
hybrids.  I use the "name" 4285 for the address where I found it.  The
traits of the tree make it look like some sort of old Santa Rosa hybrid
with one or more American species.  The original tree was of an age
that suggest it came from the old Oregon Nursery Company.  It has a
growth habit suggestive of an American hybrid, but is much more
resistant than other American hybrids like Superior, Toka, etc. I've
tried here.  It has failed to crop only once in over 35 years.  Even in
years when Japanese plums were a total loss, it came through.  The only
other variety that has done as well is Shiro.   The trees of the two
are similar, though Shiro will get some brown rot when 4285 is clean.
The plums are reddish-blue with yellow-orange flesh.   Crops are not
heavy, but the trees I have are own rooted.  4285 might do better on
something like Pixy rootstock.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.