[NAFEX] Leaves?

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sun Nov 25 22:08:20 EST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007, at 9:43 AM, William C. Garthright wrote:

>> Yes, this seems late for the apples to hold their leaves, and it
>> seems
>> like everything else is holding leaves longer than usual, too.  The
>> oak leaves are only about 1/2 down.
>

> My apples don't seem to have lost a leaf yet, but everything has been
> slow to drop leaves this year (not that bad, though). Of course, it's
> been a very warm fall, at least until the last couple of days. It
> was 78
> degrees on Monday (only 12° now).

Speaking of weird weather and weird tree behavior, I just noticed
that one of the wild crabs on my neighbor's property bloomed this
fall.  It must not have bloomed all at once, because there were a few
fresh blossoms still on it, several shriveled blossoms, and a whole
lot of tiny (2mm) crab apples.

I wonder if it's self-fertile?  I didn't see any of the other trees
in bloom.  I hope the tree isn't seriously damaged by winter - it's
one of the prettier ones in season.

Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6