[NAFEX] artificial pollenation

Jerrydana5 at aol.com Jerrydana5 at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 15:34:58 EST 2007

I have been checking my apple trees and it looks like I have good blossom
buds for next spring. Last spring was a disaster with the early warm spell
followed by a cold snap.  My brother-in-law got excellent results having  some bee
hives planted on his property--they really increased pollenation and
consequent production.  Has anyone done any experimenting with taking a  blossom off
one tree and brushing the blossoms of another tree?  My   various trees bloom
at the right times for cross pollenation, but I'd sure like  to see if I can
increase it some.  Bees are not really a possibility  because I must spray (not
allowed if you have bees) and I have kids.

Is this something that works?  I have about 20 trees, so the job is  not
overwhelming. Jerry in southern Indiana.