[NAFEX] OT parsnips

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Sat Nov 24 08:23:09 EST 2007

We grow parsnips in our heavy clay, and they do fine.  Supposedly hitting
rocks or gravelly bits can turn the roots, but you can't find a rock to
throw at a dog in our garden.  Is there a hardpan or a change in texture in
the soil in your garden?  Do you plow or till it just to a certain depth
every year?  The mass of roots is odd too, ours never do much splitting,
much less looking like Medusa.  They do say to use only compost or old
manure on parsnips and carrots.  Hope this helps.   Donna