[NAFEX] Basic Frost Protection Questions

Spidra Webster spidra at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 23 17:59:16 EST 2007

I hope you all will excuse the bonehead questions about frost
protection.  I'm a born and bred coastal Californian and have rarely
had to deal with these things before.  January 2007 was devastating
to my garden.  I lost a number of standard citrus trees, among other
things.  So I gritted my teeth and apologized to my yelping wallet
and parted with $150 to buy a huge roll of Agribon cloth.  However,
I'm given to understand it's better not to have the frost cloth
touching the plants.  So I'm assuming I'm going to have to build (or
have built, since I'm disabled...ai! more money...) "cages" around
the trees so that the cloth can be built around the cages.

We had our first frost last night.  The temp was 43 at 11pm so I
didn't expect it.  The potatoes and other tender annuals show some
damage. Is just tossing a length of frost cloth over them the way to
go?  Or do those need frames, too?  Since we generally have periods
of weeks between frosts, should I be constructing something that will
allow me to easily lift the frost cloth to provide light in-between
times?  Any tips for a complete newbie to gardening around a frost
would be greatly appreciated.

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA 9b