[NAFEX] bird netting

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Nov 23 09:35:33 EST 2007

> I finally put in a one foot tall permanent fence of hardware cloth around the bottom of the blueberry row, and now I drape the netting to overlap a few inches with the fences.  Keeps out the birds without killing anything.  And at one foot tall, it's short enough that it's not much in my way the rest of the year.

For most of my stuff this year, I put a circle of 3' chickenwire around
the plant, then draped the netting over that. It seemed to keep the
squirrels out, too, though maybe that's just because they didn't like
the few things I had fruiting this year. But the strawberries only had
netting, and the squirrels just lifted it up and went underneath.

Your idea of using 1' hardware cloth sounds interesting. On the other
hand, I use the same chickenwire circles to protect the plants from
rabbits in the winter. It's kind of a pain to set it up and then take it
down (twice a year for each), not to mention finding a place to store it
in between, but... not too bad, as long as it works.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In each case, Mr Bush made a policy decision back in 2001 based upon
false, incomplete, or misleading information and has since fought a