[NAFEX] carrots and nitrogen

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 13:39:56 EST 2007

I wonder if the idea that excess N results in smaller roots stems from the
old myth that N feeds the top and Pand K feed the roots.  The first time I
ever saw someone produce perfect and huge carrots was when they were grown
in a bed of pure composted manure.  That almost pure humus organic soil must
have been releasing more than modest amounts of N even if the release was
slowed.

By far, the best book I ever read  about arboriculture is Harris's book
(Arboriculture  Integrated Managment of Landscape Trees, Shrubs, and
Vines).  On the subject of plant response to N he sited research that showed
that N stimulates both shoot and root growth and that in the vast majority
of soils it is the only nutrient to have measurable influence on the vigor
of the roots and shoots of woody perrenials, which of course a carrot is
not.  Am I missing something?