[NAFEX] Medlars as pest free fruit

Karen Tillou arboretum at homeorchardsociety.org
Thu Nov 22 12:41:07 EST 2007

i've got the same situation on my medlars in OR too, no bugs. none
either on medlars i've grown up in the san juan islands in NW
washington state.
their biggest bummer is when you take them to a farmers market, and
spend all 5 hours of the market answering the same questions, telling
the same "medlar in a nutshell" story, and only 5 people buy 10
medlars all told.  a bit frustrating from the sales perspective.  one
woman kept repeating how she had only heard of them "literarily" from
reading chaucer.  she didn't buy any.
i need to come up with some good, simple recipes to do some value
adding.  has anyone ever dried a bletted medlar?
eat well today,

karen
oregon city, or zone 8a and wet