[NAFEX] looking for Mericourt and other pears

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Thu Nov 22 00:14:36 EST 2007

 I've decided that since pears like our soil and apples don't, then I'll just have to find pears that come in early and late and with as much variation as possible.  I have some Europeans and some Asians, some have cropped.  I have plenty of rootstocks, it seems a shame to order trees but I might wind up doing it.   Variety and nursery recommendations would be appreciated.  I know Seckel is supposed to be high quality, but I have never really liked the astingency of the skin on those few I've eaten.  On the other hand, I guess that would be a plus for making wine.  I have seen some incomplete lists of bloom times.  Late bloomers would be a good idea.  I have these already:

Twentieth Century     collected locally,  I really like this one
Tenn                           ditto   very nice pear, though it doesn't seem to keep long.  Does anyone know anything about it???
Shinko
Korean Giant
Ayers                          bought tree this year
Warren                       bought tree 12 years ago and it finally bloomed just in time for the Big Easter Freeze
probably Kieffer           local source
Duchess                     one bud took this year
Duchess Bronzee       ditto
Magness                      one small branch

I'd like:

Mericourt - 1938 Tennessee introduction that sounds really good
Winter Nelis
Moonglow?   Is it really good?

Thanks!    Donna