[NAFEX] OT parsnips

Karen Tillou arboretum at homeorchardsociety.org
Wed Nov 21 14:18:02 EST 2007

that's been my experience too - commercial root crops, esp. long ones
like parsnips and carrots, are generally grown in VERY sandy soils,
where the roots stay perfect shape, and heavy amounts of water and
fertilizers need to be added, as the sand doesn't hold on to
nutrients the way heavier, clay soils do.  try doing some double
digging, using a broadfork to break the soils up deep down next
spring, and adding lots of organic matter (every year...) to get and
keep your soils light enough to grow less-alien roots. the deeper and
fluffier you can get your soil, the better you'll do.  don't hurt
your back.

karen tillou
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet