[NAFEX] OT Parsnips?

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed Nov 21 11:34:01 EST 2007

Did you fertilize them a lot? Too much nitrogen will make parsnip roots
  branch and have lots of hair roots.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.

On Nov 21, 2007, at 8:20 AM, William C. Garthright wrote:

> I am just digging up my first parsnip crop.  It looks more like
> science fiction than it does like a store parsnip.  There is a very
> broad (8 or 9 inch) crown which is maybe 5 inches deep and then
> disintegrates into a twisted mass of roots suitable for late night TV
> SciFi movies.  What happened?

Um,... aliens?  :-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I don't know, but I planted carrots this year
(carrots! what was I thinking?) that ended up that way. But this was in
heavy clay soil that hadn't been worked before, and it turned into a
brick in our hot, dry summer. How is your soil there? If it's too hard,
the root might have trouble forming a nice round shape, and just expand
where it finds cracks and crevices.

Just an idea. I've never grown parsnips myself.

Bill

--
In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it
would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples

sites.
permission!

No exceptions.
used to change other email options):