[NAFEX] OT Parsnips?

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Nov 21 11:20:10 EST 2007

> I am just digging up my first parsnip crop.  It looks more like science fiction than it does like a store parsnip.  There is a very broad (8 or 9 inch) crown which is maybe 5 inches deep and then disintegrates into a twisted mass of roots suitable for late night TV SciFi movies.  What happened?

Um,... aliens?  :-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I don't know, but I planted carrots this year
(carrots! what was I thinking?) that ended up that way. But this was in
heavy clay soil that hadn't been worked before, and it turned into a
brick in our hot, dry summer. How is your soil there? If it's too hard,
the root might have trouble forming a nice round shape, and just expand
where it finds cracks and crevices.

Just an idea. I've never grown parsnips myself.

Bill

--
In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it
would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples