[NAFEX] Tastey Japanese Plums

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:44:41 EST 2007

I bet Ozark Premier would perform in Maryland.  Here it didn't work in a
shady location I grew it but was excellent where it got full sun.  The fruit
is huge but still very sweet and good.  Methely should also do well and
provide you with your earliest plums- that is, if the black-knot doesn't
kill it- it's extremely susceptible.  Methely is the toughest redfleshed
Japanese plum I know- others tend to suffer some southwest injury here.
I've started painting the trunks white of others.  Methely requires a ton of
thinning and tries to bear in huge grape-like clusters- it can be a huge
chore if you go for the quality.  Consult with Tom at Adam's County Nursery,
he should be of help and ask him about Fortune (the plum not the goddammed
apple).  It's a delicious and useful plum here.