[NAFEX] Late grapes

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Mon Nov 19 19:56:56 EST 2007

A couple of weeks ago, I was cutting off the bird netting from my
Concord grapes (I really need to investigate disposable netting next
year, since there's no way I can remove it in one piece), when I found a
half-dozen small bunches of grapes - long, long after the main crop had
ripened. These were smaller than normal - the grapes and the bunches -
but still delicious. I had more late grapes than this, but the birds got
some of them (those that were poking through the netting), and I picked
some of the others too early (as sour as little lemons!). They were all
growing from this year's canes.

But my question is this: Was this an indication that I'd actually pruned
TOO severely last spring? Or just one of those things that Concord
grapes do?

I had a ton of grapes this year, and I'd actually wondered if I hadn't
pruned enough. But these Concord grapes are so incredibly vigorous that
I'm now wondering if I should have left even more when I pruned them.
Note that they were hit hard by our April freeze, too - they looked
terrible after that - but they still grew like crazy and produced a LOT
of grapes.

Just wondering. I have to admit that it was nice to get a few late
grapes, but there weren't enough of them to make all that much
difference. Still, it appears that I can't be doing TOO badly (or, more
likely, that they're just so easy to grow that it's almost impossible to
screw things up).

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others. -
Samuel Johnson