[NAFEX] Febreze nontoxic?-of course not

Michael Nave jmichaelnave at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 15:53:24 EST 2007


Of course febreze is toxic. That's why P&G, the
manufacturer, gives very specific instructions not to
use it except as they direct. P&G and a natl
veterinarians organization both caution not to place
birds in a cage after spraying with febreze. You must
allow time for the fumes to dissipate. If you don't,
birds may be harmed. One of the ingredients is zinc
chloride. Here's the MSDS for zinc chloride:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/z2280.htm

Note the language "DANGER! CORROSIVE. CAUSES BURNS TO
ANY AREA OF CONTACT. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED.
AFFECTS THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM."

Now the zinc chloride used in febreze is small
concentration, but if you misuse febreze and many many
pet owners do, you can harm pets. There are hundreds
of people who have reported illness or death caused by
overusing febreze. I am familiar with many bird owners
whose birds have had health problems associated with
febreze. Has a scientific lab proved that deaths were
caused by febreze? No. But when you have dozens of
animals that were perfectly healthy and their owners
admit to misusing febreze, and there is no evidence
for any other cause, the resulting conclusion is
fairly easy to make, unless you work for P&G. And even
P&G has bent over backwards to tell people not to
misuses febreze. If it wasn't toxic, they wouldn't
bother.

And if you still think that febreze is nontoxic, why
don't you perform a simple test? Spray yourself with
febreze twice a day for a month. Then tell us how you
feel. That's what some people were doing with their
dogs. The dogs got sick. 


--- Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu>
wrote:

> At 11:25 PM 11/13/2007, you wrote:
> >Febreze is poisonous. It will kill birds, dogs,
> cats
> >and just about anything else if used in sufficient
> >concentration.
> 
> Urban/Internet myth.
> There have been no confirmed cases of Febreze
> causing death in any 
> pet - bird, cat, or dog.
> "Contrary to rumors circulating on the Internet
> alleging that Febreze 
> causes serious illness or death in pets, veterinary
> toxicology 
> experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
> regard Febreze 
> fabric freshener products to be safe for use in
> households with pets.
> As with any product, it is important that you always
> follow label 
> instructions for use. However, should your cat
> accidentally come into 
> contact with Febreze when it is still wet, we would
> not anticipate 
> problems beyond mild skin irritation (which can
> occur with any 
> product in animals with sensitive skin) or minor
> stomach upset, if it 
> is ingested."
> 
> However, even water will kill all the above animals
> - and humans - if 
> used in sufficient concentration.
> 
> 
> Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
> Veterinary Pathologist/ Dept. Chairman
> Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
> Hopkinsville, KY 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> nafex mailing list 
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> 
> Reproduction of list messages or archives is not
> allowed.
> This includes distribution on other email lists or
> reproduction on web sites.
> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't
> claim you have permission!
> 
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed
> are discarded.
> No exceptions.  
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of
> this page (also can be used to change other email
> options):
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
> 
> File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER
> VIRUSES!
> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text ONLY in emails!
> 
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
> 



      ____________________________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page. 
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs



More information about the nafex mailing list