[NAFEX] Trees which "prevent" competition, re wood chips

Jerrydana5 at aol.com Jerrydana5 at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 22:52:31 EST 2007

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question about wood chips. Several
mentioned that certain kinds of trees, especially black walnut, produce some
chemical which discourages competition from other plants.  That is
intriguing.  I'm a pharmacist and, of course, antibiotics are from molds  and bacteria
which produce chemicals to reduce competition.  Now you say  trees do it, too.
I wonder, has any research been done on these  chemicals--it seems they might
be very fruitful in producing herbicides.   Jerry in southern Indiana