[NAFEX] brown tor resistance, was: Plum Curculio Resistant Cultivars

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Wed Nov 14 17:00:10 EST 2007

Some years ago the Pomona had an item about a Brazilian peach which is
resistant to brown rot. I talked about it to a breeder at the Vineland
station near me. He told me that they were doing breeding of canning
peaches with its pollen which they had obtained from California where
there was an active breeding program using the Brazilian peach. He also
said that they were only working on canning peaches because the
Brazilian peach was a rubbery fleshed type which would need several
generations to get the brown rot reistance into a good quality fresh
eating freestone peach. I haven't heard anything about this work since.

I have been told by a grower that thinning peaches when the pit is still
jelly-like results in the pit rotting quickly on the orchard floor and
not carrying the brown rot infection over to the next year (at least
from that source). If you thin when the pit has hardened it does not rot
away completely and will carry the infection to the next year. This
makes the thinning of very early peaches difficult; apparently if you
thin early you get more split pits  - harbouring rot and unsaleable -
which earlies are prone to anyway.

I believe the Harrow apricots were also selected for brown rot
resistance to a degree.

Alan Haigh wrote:
[snip]

> I'm also curious about brown-rot resistance in stone-fruit.  This is
> going to be very regionally specific, I'm afraid, but maybe we can all
> learn something.  I have read that the Seneca plum is resistant but not
> found this to be true.  I have observed that in peaches older varieties
> seem to have more resistance.  Encore, Autumn Glo and Lady Nancy tend to
> rot without significant protection but Elberta and Belle of Georgia do not.
>
> In southeastern NY earlier ripening stone-fruit that face less heat and
> humiditity suffer less from brown-rot and peaches less from scab.
> So many of the newer peaches are highly susceptible to brown-rot that I
> think we should limit the discussion to what's resistant, not what's
> not, unless it's a variety that seems to exist to rot.  In newer
> peaches, varieties from the Harrow series are evaluated for brown-rot
> resistance but they are falling out of popularity.

[snip]