[NAFEX] wood chips

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Nov 14 13:26:07 EST 2007

Jerry,
For surface-applied mulch, I have no problem whatsoever applying
fresh wood chips.
Acid, schmacid.  They're going on top of the ground to help hold soil
moisture and suppress weed growth - I'm willing to bet that if you
steeped the fresh chips in water and stuck in a pH probe, it would be
in the neutral range.
I don't even buy into the old saw about fresh wood chips 'robbing'
nitrogen from the soil.  Yes, nitrogen availability is the
rate-limiting factor in decomposition of woody materials, but no one
has yet convinced me that surface applied mulch steals any
significant nitrogen from deep down in the soil, other than right at
the mulch/soil interface.

Lucky