[NAFEX] wood chips

Jerrydana5 at aol.com Jerrydana5 at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 13:12:53 EST 2007

I recently had the good fortune of having a truck load of fresh wood chips
dumped on my property (at my request!)  They are from Poplar Trees (tulip
tree) from my neighbor's place who had several very large trees cut down.   The
guy doing the cutting said they are no good for mulching until they compost
several months because they are too acid.  I was planning on using them on  a
patch that needs new chips.  But does anyone know:
1.  Is it true they are too acid for mulch when fresh?
2.  Does age take that problem away?
3.  Could I use them for my blueberries, as they seem to constantly  need
more acid soil?

Jerry in southern Indiana