[NAFEX] apple flavorings and plum curculio

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Tue Nov 13 19:54:43 EST 2007

Changes in a cultivar through vegetative "sports" where say a branch
after a certain point on the branch bears perceptibly different but
similar fruits, are thought to be due to single-gene mutations which
occurred during the growth of the plant, and are considered to be the
same cultivar. A mutation which decreases or increases russeting, or red
colour, may affect a lot of other things including flavour.

We normally speak of "breeding" when a flower is fertilized, a seed is
produced, and a new plant is grown by intent from the seed; i.e. the
whole pack of genes is shuffled (roughly speaking). Actually, groups of
genes may be re-assorted, but at any rate there is a change in the
assortment of numerous genes.

The poster might more accurately have spoken of "selecting" the
russeting out of Golden Delicious.

I thnk there is some suspicion that russeting at least when due to
genetic causes often tends to be associated with slightly better flavour

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada