[NAFEX] apple flavorings and plum curculio

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 11:25:42 EST 2007

I completely agree that Yellow Delicious has suffered in flavor in the
course of breeding the russetting out of it.  Strangely it seems to have
also become more attractive to plum curculio.  Unsprayed older strains of
this variety are very often untouched by PC when newer strains are
completely deformed on the same sites.  Too bad even the older strains don't
taste quite good enough to me to replace harder to protect cultivars.

I have found Goldrush, which I love and Fuji to be fairly resistant to PC
also- perhaps because they are so hard.  Anyone out there with similar
experience with these or other varieties based on a few years of cropping
(last year PC pressure was low around here)?