[NAFEX] Saperda candida aka Round headed apple tree borer

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Sun Nov 11 15:45:35 EST 2007

David,

Here's the link to the Cornell IPM website with some great info on your
borer problem.
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/factsheets/treefruit/pests/ab/ab.asp  It's
important to time the life cycle stages with your control methods and
Cornell has a great chart that is simple to follow.  I use Lorsban (Govern
4E) in June and July and do a trunk spray about 12 inches above the soil and
drench the trunk to the point of runoff.  The runoff penetrates the soil and
gets those borers below top of soil.  We have over 12,000 trees now and it
take us about 2 days to cover the more susceptible root stocks, M26
especially.  The M26 burr knot is more sweet tasting to the borers and they
attack those first in our orchard.  Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com