[NAFEX] Introduction of apples to North America

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Nov 9 10:14:48 EST 2007

In The Apples of Maine it mentions that  fishermen from Europe in the
1500's went to the outer islands of the Grand Banks to catch and dry
cod.  They took apples with them to prevent scurvy and when they
reached the islands, they dumped cores, etc. there that grew into
apples.  Indians coming to the islands from the mainland found apples
growing there and took them back to the mainland.  Thus, when the
Pilgrims arrived, apples were already established on the mainland.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.