[NAFEX] Removing persimmon seed sacks.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 22:24:00 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/8/2007 6:19:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
friendly27sw at yahoo.com writes:

>  On a related note, does anyone have a way to efficiently remove the seeds
> from
> persimmon pulp without separating them by hand for hours?

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the report of the fruiting difference you observed in your
persimmon tree going from open shade to full sun. I'll include it my records of
persimmon grower reports.

Here is one way I've removed the seed sacks from many persimmon seeds. After
pulping I place them in a bucket with water and mix. Leave them set for about
2 days add more water, stir then pour off the water. Yes, many will float off
but a screen will hold them. Now repeat the this step again. The seed sacks
will now be softened. After pouring off the water well the third time, work the
seeds with your hands many of the sacks will readily come off. If they are
really softened you can direct a hard stream of water using the garden hose
directly onto the seeds forcing more sacks off. You will learn with experience.
I've cleaned many pounds of seed with this basic method.

Jerry Lehman
NAFEX Persimmon Interest Group