[NAFEX] red maples

Mathew Waehner waehner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 12:54:50 EST 2007

A study was just published on that.  BAsically, the reesearcher found that
the red dye was there as a sunscreen to protecht the leaves after
chlorophyll was broken down.  The tree uses energy (sugar) to make the dye,
in exchance for keeping the leaves alive while nitrogen is salvaged for next
year.

The study claimed that in trees that sometimes, but not always show red
leaves, it is an indicator of nitrogen stress.

LINK:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071025112042.htm