[NAFEX] Elderberry

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Mon Nov 5 11:09:34 EST 2007

    Some time ago I asked for suggestions of fruit that would grow in shade
and didn't get any answers that I could use.  Since then I've been
experimenting and learned that Sambucus canadensis does very well in shade.
It produces more in open sunlight but isn't a slouch in the shade either.
Most of mine are about 10' north of a line of maple trees  and do get peeks
of sunlight depending upon how the maple leaves blow in the wind.  A few of
my elderberry bushes are north of (under) White Pine and Spruce and do get
just a bit of direct sunlight about an hour before sunset.  All are quite
productive.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472