[NAFEX] Medlars+Quince

hans brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Mon Nov 5 07:30:04 EST 2007

Hallo Lon, Doug and Lee,

because of you Lon, I just tried my medlars:
After a few nights with little frosts ALL my HANGING medlars are still
not bletted and have white and normal hard flesh.
The leaves are very brown-yellow. But the taste is tooo nice now! Not
bletted and hard and only a very,very little astringent.
I like this very little astringency because this makes a tasty
difference to other fruits...
Usually after some time the same fruits will be bletted - still hanging
- at the twigs.
In some years I do have hanging medlars till beginning of January - on
an other medlar tree.
I think some trees keep them longer and some not - genetically.
And I like them for this long keeping fruits. It looks also nice and at
winter birds like it also.
The - outside - bletted medlars (inside I did not try), I do not like
too much fresh, but for pulp and cooking they may be very nice.

We have also one Quince with big fruits and always ready to eat from the
tree. Not astringent at all and quite juicy and real soft.
But - of course - some typical quince flavor is missing. I think for
cooking they may be poor - in comparison with other quince...
Right now, I forgot the name, but they came for sure from Russia and
they start probably with M.
At England some people have also one cultivar, but I did not compare
them jet.

ciao
hans        Germany