[NAFEX] Medlars

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Nov 5 00:35:55 EST 2007

If you had some sort of name or identification for the medlars, they
might be in the National Clonal Germplasm Repository collection at
Corvallis, OR.  Last I knew, they had collected about every known
medlar in the world.  I've tried a number of them, though I have to say
that the old "Nottingham" still seems to be the one I prefer.
I have some quinces that could qualify as ones your Greek acquaintance
spoke about.  They have very tender flesh, and in a couple of
extra-long summers they have ripened to the point where they were about
like eating a somewhat tart apple.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.