[NAFEX] Medlars

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Mon Nov 5 00:24:34 EST 2007

About 25 years ago an immigrant from Greece ( a barber in Kingston,
Ontario) told me that in Greece there were medlars and quinces that
ripened enough for fresh eating, due to the long growing season.

About 28 years ago when I was living in eastern Ontario I got some
fruits of ornamental medlars for seed from the late Dr. Fleming of the
Vineland station in the Niagara peninsula (he told me that the seedling
line came originally form the Royal Horticultural Society in Britain). I
put them in the freezer compartment of a rather weak old refrigerator I
had where they were maintained just above freezing. Along about February
I checked them and some (not all) were delicious with a spicy
super-apple-sauce like flavour and texture. I deduce that lower
temperature bletting is good, at least for some strains of medlar.

Unfortunately I was never able to plant the seed.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario