[NAFEX] Medlars

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Nov 4 23:49:39 EST 2007

Had a surprise today.  I went to check my medlars and found that a fair
number had already bletted on one of the tree medlar trees I have.
They are all the same variety, "Nottingham".  That was the first time
that has happened here.  Usually the fruits drop before they blet.
Another aspect of the different weather, apparently.  There weren't any
marks or indications of injury that might have sped up the process,
either.   The flavor seemed more intense than the usual ones, bletted
off the tree.   If there was a way to breed for "tree ripened" medlars,
it could be useful.  No storing or bletting needed, just process the
picked fruit into pulp immediately.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.