[NAFEX] Fire blight on dwarf apple espalier

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Thu May 31 09:36:36 EDT 2007

Betsy,

The general thinking among the major university plant pathologists is that
pruning out the blighted shoots and burning them is the preferred attack for
shoot blight with regularly timed sprays.  In Michigan in 2000 there was a
statewide shoot blight epidemic.  As a result some great research was done
and the info can be found at http://web1.msue.msu.edu/vanburen/fblinks.htm.
Mark Longstroth compiled most of the data and he also refers to Alan Biggs
from West Virginia University and Timothy Smith from Wenatchee in Washington
State who developed the Cougar Blight predictive model that we use here at
Royal Oak Farm.  Longstrith gives many examples of how orchard keepers
approached the epidemic with varying results.  If you read through his
reports, you should get a good idea of how to handle your specific
situation.  Biggs and Smith have developed the best management programs I
have found.

Blight typically starts with the blooms, spreads to the shoots, then to the
trunk and finally to the rootstock.    I have not seen blight in rootstock
without at least one shoot being infected first.  You might want to take a
sample from one of your pear tree's rootstock and have it tested before
removing the pear trees to make sure it is blight.  If the foliage is
healthy, it may not be blight.  NC State has a good plant clinic  and  the
information you need to submit a sample is at
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/clinic/.  I just removed 5 two year old
Honeycrisp trees yesterday with rootstock blight (Bud 9 ), but each had one
shoot that was blighted with a larege canker at the stem/trunk crotch and it
was the last shoot before the rootstock.  All six trees were beside each
other in the same east/west row.  Each of the trees to the east and west of
the blighted trees were very healthy.

NC State has a good plant clinic  and  the information you need to submit a
sample is at http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/clinic/.  Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com