[NAFEX] Gooseberry question

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed May 30 10:37:48 EDT 2007

At 07:11 AM 5/30/2007, you wrote:
>     When picked, my gooseberries retain a slight bit of their stem and their
>dried blossom.  When you make gooseberry jam, do you leave the stem and
>blossom or do you painstakingly pick off each dried blossom and stem end
>from each berry?

Jim,
I freeze the berries in ziploc freezer bags, with stems and the
little dried blossom end still attached.  Once frozen, you can pull
them out of the freezer and 'massage' or 'roll' the berries around
inside the bag and the stems/stylets mostly break off, then it's a
fairly simple matter to winnow them out before you make jam or pie.
the few that remain attached aren't that big a deal to me(I always
need a bit more 'roughage'), but I suppose for commercial purposes,
the typical consumer *might* be put off a bit by their presence.
Lucky