[NAFEX] late freeeze

btnutrition at aol.com btnutrition at aol.com
Tue May 29 18:42:53 EDT 2007

I agree with Bob: don't feel bad for us at elevation in Utah (zone 5a,
5,000 feet, Northern Utah / Idaho line)!
Yes, it might freeze or snow here even in June (or July), but the dry
weather eradicates many disease concerns.
By citing the "orchard" on a southward slope, against the
south-west-facing brick wall of my home,
and planting a windbreak / suntrap to the NorthEast,
I successfully grow a wide diversity fruits and berries (mulberry,
peach, apricot, apples, pear, cherry, goumi, gooseberry, cornus mas,
even blueberries...). Am using entirely organic methods (no chemical
sprays) and have not had pest problems (other than neighborhood
children helping themselves)! Hard to balk at that....so few children
these days will eat their fruits and vegetables, I don't mind sharing
if I can help encourage more nutritious eating habits with my "Edible
Landscape."

My weather station recorded 32 degrees last night, and the month's low
is 25 here. But I have good fruit set on all above mentioned
trees, with only 40-50% loss of fruit on one of the cherry trees (Bing,
the Ranier cherry seems to have come through with no losses).

I think we all learn to make the most of what our locale has to offer
(and a little ingenuity can help create the perfect
microclimate for most needs). After a decade of gardening in central
California then
relocating here 6 years ago, I'm really digging zone 5. Glad to have
found NAFEX and others who share my passion for
rare and uncommon fruits.

Jeanne

Jeanne Wallace, PhD, CNC (clinical nutrition consultant)
Logan, UT