[NAFEX] Dying pecan- can I determine variety of survivor?

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Tue May 29 12:06:17 EDT 2007

Well, it looks like my "Stuart" pecan is on it's last legs (roots).  All
of the new growth has shriveled and died and it is now sprouting from
below the graft.

Since I now know that TyTy was an unreliable source for my trees, I am
left with a very vigorous 11 foot survivor that was labelled "Pawnee" at
purchase.   Since I only have room for 2 pecans, I must be strategic in
my replacement tree  to get adequate pollination.

Question: is there any way to verify the variety that I have living so
that I can purchase a proper replacement variety as a pollinator?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Betsy Hilborn
NC 7a