[NAFEX] Gooseberry care

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun May 27 09:23:05 EDT 2007

I planted several different gooseberries a year ago, and they're doing
quite well, despite getting little direct sunlight. Well, in our
climate, that's probably a good thing. Of course, we've been getting a
lot of rain this year, which I'm sure they like. But I have a couple of
questions about summer care (I've seen conflicting information on the web):

1. Most of my plants have set gooseberries (all except the Poorman), but
the Hinnonmaki Red is absolutely loaded with berries. They're strung
almost solidly along many branches. Do I need to thin these out a bit? I
could pick some of the green berries for pie (no, I'm not going to cook
it, but I can easily give them away) if necessary. Or don't I have to
worry about thinning gooseberries? Note that I'm growing these for fresh
eating.

2. These gooseberries are thorny as heck, and they tend to grow low. In
fact, some of the young shoots are lying flat on the ground. Should I do
some summer pruning and remove the lowest shoots? I thought maybe that
would let the plants put more energy into the remaining shoots that are
more erect. I'll be pruning off the lowest ones early next spring,
anyway. Or do I want to leave all of the vegetation this summer, so that
the plants can soak up all the light they can get? Both ways seem
logical, to me. What do you say?

Thanks!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
For only $399, you can send your kids away to spend a few days this
summer with Ollie North, professional traitor, frolicking about on a