[NAFEX] late freeze

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri May 25 16:06:03 EDT 2007

> One thing I have noted is that historically bad freezes and droughts go hand in hand.

We had a bad freeze in early April, after a very warm March (but a
colder winter, in general), but we're also getting more rain than we've
had in years. We've been in a drought for about eight years, but this
year we're way above normal on precipitation. It's really been great. My
trees looked terrible after the freeze, but all this rain - about once a
week, with nice warm weather in between - has really helped.

Of course, my standards for a "good rain" might be different from yours,
since I'm sure we don't get as much rainfall normally. But last year, I
was celebrating when I got a tenth of an inch (which wasn't that often).
This year, we're about three and a half inches ahead of normal for the
month, and probably five or six inches for the year. That's amazing!

Well, I'm sure we'll be back to hot and dry soon enough.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of
science makes skepticism a virtue. - Robert K. Merton