[NAFEX] Serviceberry & humidity

Dianne Stephany iluvdanc at rochester.rr.com
Fri May 25 13:01:52 EDT 2007

HI
We planted 10 Downy serviceberry whips when we moved here in 2001.  We lost
3 the first year (I sprayed to heavily with Deer-off) and 3 the second year,
then one the third year.  The serviceberry plants died that were closest to
the apples with the worse fireblight.   Two serviceberry plants that died
had several limbs with the crook  sign of fireblight so it makes sense to me
that high humidity  which encourages fireblight would be linked with
serviceberry death. The remaining plants always look better after I have
sprayed with neem or serenade (B. subtilis which suppresses fireblight).

We haven't had much of a crop yet to taste. The birds grab them fast. I do
have one new plant  that was planted by a bird in a flower garden.  It has
lots of flowers. Here's hoping for a taste of ripe fruit!

Dianne Stephany in  Rochester NY, zone 5