[NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu May 24 19:55:37 EDT 2007

I don't find ground cherries too much of a bother.  The thing I get with
them is trying to convince my brain that they're a sweet fruit , not
tomatillos.  Still, I tend to use them in sauces for savory things - like a
sweet/hot salsa, or grilling sauce, or relish.  Or jam, where my biased
brain can't see their shape.

I read somewhere - perhaps on this very list - that one way to deal with
fruit like you describe is to freeze the bunches first, then pluck the
frozen berries from the stems.  I used to try to steam juice small bunched
berries like that, but unless they are clean of vegetative matter, the juice
tastes unpleasantly musty, almost dirty.

Thanks much for the info!

~ Stephen

  _____