[NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Thu May 24 15:24:04 EDT 2007

> Bill,
>     I think you'd do well with serviceberries.  Your climate is drier and you probably have far fewer cedars than we do.
> In most of the Great Plains, the red cedar (J. virginiana) is the only native juniper.  It is planted throughout Nebraska and in states to the north and south, as seedlings in farm shelterbelts and windbreaks and as cultivars in home landscapes.

Not just planted, either. It grows like a weed around here. Any pasture
or prairie left unburned (or unmowed) is soon covered in red cedar. I
live in town, but I know they're all around me here, too. I'm always
finding little red cedar seedlings in my lawn.

But yes, I'm thinking seriously of trying serviceberries. Due to a
slight miscalculation, I've got a place that's probably not quite big
enough for dwarf trees, but might handle two or three bushes just fine.
I'll just have to make sure I get the smaller species.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty
without any proof. - Ashley Montague