[NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu May 24 15:10:04 EDT 2007

Berries average 1/4 to 3/8 inch in diameter.  There is seedling
variation though, and it's likely that with some selection and good
care 1/2 inch berries would be easy to attain.  My current crop is all
from a single large berried plant I selected last year and I expect the
seedlings will have larger fruit than average.   Plants will average 3
feet tall and may spread that much.  They like the same conditions as
tomatoes.  The berries come in trusses like cherry tomatoes and it's
much easier to pick them by waiting until all the berries on a truss
are ripe, then snip the truss with your fingernails.  If you strip
them, they juice all over your hands.  Once you plant them, you'll
probably have them come back as volunteers for years to come.
And though they are Solanums, I've never seen blight or disease of any
sort on them.   With their frost hardiness, it might be fun to graft a
tomato to one of the plants and see if it gains any hardiness.
-Lon Rombough

"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com