[NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Thu May 24 15:01:08 EDT 2007

Full sun, water when dry, and no need to stake.  Fruit is about 3/8 to
1/2 inch in diameter.  Pick when the berries turn from glossy to dullish
purple for best flavor.

What I did grow up eating in western Kansas was an edible form of black
nightshade (S. nigrum) that ethnic Germans brought from the Volga River
region of Russia.

I believe all these nightshades have a somewhat acrid flavor, but those
of us who grew up eating them find them delicious nonetheless.  We don't
even attempt to compare them with blueberries or other fruits; they are
what they are (and pretty darn good if you live where one of the few
fruits that do well). -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.