[NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu May 24 14:45:39 EDT 2007

I have some Solanum burbankii, the Wonderberry, that is pleasantly
sweet to eat fresh, but it's messy to handle because the berries are
soft and juice a lot when picked.   It self-seeds quite a bit and the
seedlings regularly come up early and they take a surprising amount of
frost.  I have a lot of them already over 6 inches tall.  They would be
larger if they weren't crowded.
-Lon
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com

On May 24, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 10:28 PM 5/23/2007, Donna wrote:
>   Beware of Garden huckleberry, yuck!!!

Amen to that!
I grew some (Solanum melanocarpa) one year - big, vigorous plants,
producing huge clusters of handsome blue-black berries.
But, despite leaching and baking soda treatment - as directed - and
lots of sugar, grape juice concentrate and lemon juice for flavor and
acidity, the jam and pies I made with them always had this lingering
metallic aftertaste that was just....unsettling.  Made me think that
perhaps I'd not managed to remove all the toxic alkaloids.

Lucky

> We grew some of the usual kind as
> well as some sweet ones from Tim Peters.  The blister beetles really
> sent
> for the sweet ones, I guess they know a good thing, and left the
> bitter ones
> alone.  Even cooked, the garden huckleberries had a nauseating
> bitterness.
> The sweet ones were actually quite good, but it was a constant
> struggle to
> keep the blister beetles from scarfing the plants up entirely.    Donna

> sites.
> permission!

> No exceptions.

sites.