[NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu May 24 14:30:13 EDT 2007

At 10:28 PM 5/23/2007, Donna wrote:
>   Beware of Garden huckleberry, yuck!!!

Amen to that!
I grew some (Solanum melanocarpa) one year - big, vigorous plants,
producing huge clusters of handsome blue-black berries.
But, despite leaching and baking soda treatment - as directed - and
lots of sugar, grape juice concentrate and lemon juice for flavor and
acidity, the jam and pies I made with them always had this lingering
metallic aftertaste that was just....unsettling.  Made me think that
perhaps I'd not managed to remove all the toxic alkaloids.

Lucky