[NAFEX] Huckleberry

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Wed May 23 23:28:47 EDT 2007

Eastern Huckleberry, Gaylussacia
baccata?

Jim,
    Looks like PFAF doesn't think much of the flavor.

  Beware of Garden huckleberry, yuck!!!  We grew some of the usual kind as
well as some sweet ones from Tim Peters.  The blister beetles really sent
for the sweet ones, I guess they know a good thing, and left the bitter ones
alone.  Even cooked, the garden huckleberries had a nauseating bitterness.
The sweet ones were actually quite good, but it was a constant struggle to
keep the blister beetles from scarfing the plants up entirely.    Donna