[NAFEX] Huckleberry

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Wed May 23 22:29:19 EDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

>     Does anyone raise either Vaccinium membranaceum, Black
> Huckleberry, aka
> Western Huckleberry?  Does Anyone raise Eastern Huckleberry,
> Gaylussacia
> baccata?
>
> . . .
>     When I went looking for Eastern Huckleberry plants, I found
> lots of
> (Eastern) Huckleberry Jelly but no plants.  I finally did find one
> nursery
> who said they had (Gaylussacia baccata) plants but, for unsaid
> reasons, they
> refused to sell me any.  I finally found some growing wild in
> Wisconsin.
> . . .

My sister has some eastern huckleberries.  They aren't doing very
well, but her experience wouldn't scare me off trying them.  She
planted them in a sort of dry shady spot next to the house, her dog
was very fond of chewing on them, and this year they've been denuded
by winter moths.  At any rate, she found a local nursery that was
happy to sell them to her.  (And the shrubs smell wonderful and woodsy.)

Ginda