[NAFEX] Huckleberry

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Wed May 23 09:13:50 EDT 2007

    I have questions about Huckleberries:  Is there enough interest in
Huckleberries to have a NAFEX group?

    Does anyone raise either Vaccinium membranaceum, Black Huckleberry, aka
Western Huckleberry?  Does Anyone raise Eastern Huckleberry, Gaylussacia
baccata?

    When I went looking for Western Huckleberry plants, I found the natives,
especially Montanans, to be very covetous of their native jelly berry.  They
refused to sell me any!!!  I did finally find someone who would sell plants
and, though they rated them as zone 3 hardy, didn't offer me much hope of
survival in Minnesota.  I bought 12 and nine made it through their first
Winter, some of them just barely - I had a snowless Winter.

    When I went looking for Eastern Huckleberry plants, I found lots of
(Eastern) Huckleberry Jelly but no plants.  I finally did find one nursery
who said they had (Gaylussacia baccata) plants but, for unsaid reasons, they
refused to sell me any.  I finally found some growing wild in Wisconsin.

    Okay, so now I have plants.  Do I have to figure out how to grow them by
myself or has anyone gone before me and already succeeded.  I would
appreciate any and all information.  Thanks,

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
www.bberryfarm.com