[NAFEX] Saskatoons

Lee Reich garden at leereich.com
Tue May 22 05:01:08 EDT 2007

I've tried juneberries for years. At my particular site, which is
lowlying with more humidity than the surrounding area, juneberries
are a failure. In about 20 years of trying a half-dozen varieties,
I've harvested perhaps a handful of fruits. Others get lost to a
various insects and diseases. The best years for my plants and for
wild plants in the mountains here have had very summers.

Still, I think juneberries are worth trying, to the extent that i did
include a chapter about them in my book Uncommon Fruits for Every
Garden. As I point out in my book, an ornamental planting only 5
miles here bears abundant and regular crops of delectable berries
(they are not sprayed at all). As I wrote in my book, the best
juneberries are sweet and juicy with the richness of sweet cherry and
a hint of almond aftertaste. Anyone who wants to know more about this
fruit should check out the chapter in my book (which NAFEX library has).

I'm tempted to try Regent, which I've not grown yet.

Lee Reich, PhD
garden at leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich:
The Pruning Book